Read the Creative Writing Award Winners for Spring 2014.
Congratulations to all the TCU Creative Writing Award winners as we celebrate the creative and scholarly writing talent of TCU students. Over $3,000 was awarded in prize money to students for their work in many genres; some awards have been in existence since 1935. Read the winning entries here (be patient as the document loads), and congratulations to all those who entered.
Live Oak Reading: Garrett Hongo (4/24/14, 6:30 pm, Palko 130).
Join the Department of English as we welcome Garrett Hongo, author of Coral Road, to the Live Oak Reading Series on Thursday, April 24th at 6:30pm in Palko Hall, room 130. A Japanese American poet, Garrett Hongo was born in Volcano, Hawai'i, in 1951. He attended Pomona University and the University of Michigan. He received his MFA in English from the University of California at Irvine. His collections of poetry include Coral Road: Poems (Alfred A. Knopf, 2011); The River of Heaven (1988), which was the Lamont Poetry Selection of The Academy of American Poets and a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize, and Yellow Light (1982). He is also the author of Volcano: A Memoir of Hawai'i (1995), and he has edited Songs My Mother Taught Me: Stories, Plays and Memoir by Wakako Yamauchi (1994) and The Open Boat: Poems from Asian America (1993). His honors include fellowships from the Guggenheim Foundation, the National Endowment for the Arts, and the Rockefeller Foundation. This event is free and open to the public. (Poster of Event)
- Gender and Space in British Literature, 1660-1820, edited by Mona Narain and Karen Gevirtz (2014)
- The Wish Book: Poems by Alex Lemon (2014)
- Cherokee Sister: The Collected Writings of Catherine Brown edited by Theresa Gaul (2014)
- When Sex Changed: Birth Control Politics and Literature Between the World Wars by Layne Parish Craig (2013).
- Shakespeare's Anti-Politics: Sovereign Power and the Life of the Flesh by Daniel Juan Gil (2013)
- Between Day and Night: Miguel Gonzalez-Gerth New and Selected Poems 1946-2010, edited by David Colon (2013)
- A Feminist Reader, edited by Sharon Harris and Linda Hughes (2013)
- Women and Rhetoric Between the Wars, edited by Ann George, et al (2013)
- Exploring Suburbia: The Suburbs in the Contemporary Australian Novel by Nathanael O'Reilly (2012).
- Rewriting Success in Rhetoric and Composition Careers, edited by Carrie Leverenz, et al (2012)
- The Lost Men: An Allegory, by David A. Colón (2012).
- Reclaiming the Rural: Essays on Literacy, Rhetoric, and Pedagogy, edited by Charlotte Hogg, et al (2012).
- Greek Rhetoric Before Aristotle, 2nd edition, by Richard Leo Enos (2012).
- Bridging Cultures: International Women Faculty Transforming the US Academy edited by Sarah Robbins, et al. (2011).
- Nellie Arnott's Writings on Angola, 1905–1913: Missionary Narratives Linking Africa and America by Sarah Robbins, et al. (2011).